From: Chris Stankevitz <chrisstankevitz@×××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] USB disk automatically mounting: how does it work
Date: Sun, 06 Oct 2013 16:12:23
1 Hello,
2
3 Would you please explain (or refer me to a place that explains) the
4 mechanism by which an USB drive appears on my desktop? I'm looking
5 for a level of detail like this:
6
7 When you insert a USB device, the kernel sends out a notification A.
8 Userland daemons such as B can catch this signal. A file B.conf
9 describes what to do in response to a certain class of USB devices and
10 in there you will see a section for disk drives that says mount them
11 at location C. Then B sends out a notification D which window
12 managers can catch if they want. GNOME and others catch D and in
13 response put an icon on the desktop. The reason lowly users can mount
14 and write to these devices is E.
15
16 PS: These topics are a blur in my mind: udev hotplug coldplug session
17 pam. I suspect these words are used to fill in some of the variables
18 in my pseudo-description above.
19
20 Thank you,
21