From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Winter clock change did not happen
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 13:51:07
1 On Sunday 31 October 2010 13:27:11 Nuno J. Silva wrote:
2 > Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> writes:
3 > > I dual boot with MSWindows and therefore have set up my /etc/conf.d/clock
4 > > to:
5 > >
6 > > CLOCK="local"
7 > > TIMEZONE="Europe/London"
8 > > CLOCK_OPTS=""
9 > > CLOCK_SYSTOHC="no"
10 > > SRM="no"
11 > > ARC="no"
12 > >
13 > > I noticed this morning that the clock was still showing summer time (I
14 > > rarely boot into MSWindows).
15 >
16 > Was Linux running since before the time change? I suppose it would at
17 > least show the right time if that was the case. If it works, you still
18 > need CLOCK_SYSTOHC="yes" if you want Linux to change the clock.
19 >
20 > Linux has no way to know if the time change was done (nor windows),
21 > unless the systems are syncing with other clock (NTP), so both of them
22 > will boot up and think this "local" time is the winter time.
23 >
24 > The systems may still register if they already did the timezone change,
25 > so that they know what to do (that was the case with windows 98).
26 >
27 > > I had to boot into MSWindows to check what happens there and the clock
28 > > was showing the new winter time. After that the Linux clock was also
29 > > showing the updated winter time.
30 > >
31 > > Does this mean that twice a year when the clock changes I need to boot
32 > > into MSWindows first to allow the time change to take place, or is there
33 > > a Linux side fix for my dual boot set up?
34 >
35 > You can write something so that Linux changes the clock, but then be
36 > sure Windows is not set to change it.
37 > my
38 > A better (read "more complicated") solution would involve some sync
39 > mechanism between both operating systems so that one can tell if the
40 > other already changed the clock.
41 >
42 > Unless windows now supports UTC clocks, you have to live either with
43 > this or with an always on winter clock on windows.
44
45 Thanks Nuno, this explains well why my Gentoo did not change the time - I do
46 not have NTP set up on it and rely on MSWindows to sync with a time server
47 once a month or so that I boot into it for just this reason. This is a new
48 laptop and it seems to keep the time reliably for now. In the future I may
49 well set up NTP if I find that the time in Gentoo is drifting (enough for me
50 to notice).
51 --
52 Regards,
53 Mick