From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Xgl and direct rendering or 'Would you like Xorg or Xgl, sir?'
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 20:11:25
1 On Monday 22 January 2007 11:29, Jan Stępień <jan@×××××××××××.pl> wrote
2 about 'Re: [gentoo-user] Xgl and direct rendering or 'Would you like Xorg
3 or Xgl, sir?'':
4 > In fact the radeon module conflicts with fglrx. I've unloaded fglrx,
5 > modprobed radeon (verified by lsmod) and relaunched gdm. But it's still
6 > refusing to use the new module:
7 >
8 > (EE) Failed to load module "radeon" (module does not exist, 0)
9 >
10 > Actually it does exist, it is loaded and besides listed in xorg.conf to
11 > be bound to my Radeon 9600XT. I'm can't get it. Any suggestions?
12
13 Okay, this might not, be helpful but I just want to do a sanity check here:
14
15 1. Check your xorg.log and make sure you are using the xorg.conf you think
16 you are.
17
18 2. Make sure the required kernel module is in place. It can be loaded by
19 modprobe and that action confirmed by lsmod. It will be somewhere
20 under /lib/modules (sounds like you've already done this).
21
22 3. Make sure you aren't confusing a kernel module/driver with a X11 driver.
23 Generally the later depends on the former, but they are provided by
24 different packages and located differently on the filesystem -- and
25 generally kernel modules are not listed by name in xorg.conf.
28 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
29 bss03@××××××××××.net ((_/)o o(\_))
30 ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy `-'(. .)`-'
31 http://iguanasuicide.org/ \_/