From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Bootloaders: SILENT CRISIS!!!
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2017 19:32:16
1 On Saturday 28 Jan 2017 12:20:12 Tom H wrote:
2 > On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 5:50 PM, Bill Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au> wrote:
3 > > On 28/01/17 00:25, Tom H wrote:
4 > >> On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 7:10 PM, Bill Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
5 wrote:
6 > >>> I tried grub2 and dumped it for "rEFit" - ended up a lot easier and
7 > >>> more robust.
8 > >>
9 > >> rEFIt or rEFInd?
10 > >
11 > > Sorry, yes it is rEFInd I am using.
12 >
13 > No worries. I had to check out of curiosity because I mix them up...
14
15 rEFInd is definitely a slick and useful boot manager for multibooting. On this
16 occasion I did not install it, but decided to remain minimalist, because I do
17 not want to interfere much with the AppleMac installation.
18
19 So, I created /boot/EFI/LINUX/ on /dev/sda1, leaving the original
20 /boot/EFI/APPLE as was and copied in the LINUX/ directory just the gentoo
21 kernel image, .config and System files. I named the kernel image
22 'bootx64-4.4.39-gentoo.efi' to differentiate from other images I will install
23 over time.
24
25 Then using the efibootmgr I set up bootx64-4.4.39-gentoo.efi as the default boot
26 kernel and when the MackBook is started it boots straight into Gentoo, in what
27 it feels like milliseconds. :-)
28
29 When I need to boot into MacOS I have to press the alt key (aka Option ⌥ key)
30 as I power it on and the Apple firmware boot loader takes over. What I don't
31 know yet is if a MacOS upgrade will wipe the /boot/EFI/LINUX/ in /dev/sda1 as
32 it upgrades the APPLE files, but it is easy to boot with a LiveUSB and copy
33 over the Linux kernel once more.
34
35 This way I don't have to bless a hfs+ partition, or mess about with the MacOS
36 firmware files, bootx64.efi, or anything else. I wonder why Apple did not
37 develop their boot manager to be able to identify and boot Linux kernels too,
38 but are happy to make it boot MSWindows ...
41 Regards,
42 Mick