From: James Broadhead <jamesbroadhead@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How can I keep baselayout-1?
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2011 14:56:53
1 On 8 December 2011 14:41, Jarry <mr.jarry@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 08-Dec-11 12:26, James Broadhead wrote:
3 >
4 >>> I do not want to upgrade to baselayout-2, but I want to
5 >>> re-emerge system. So how can I do it now, when all 1.x
6 >>> versions have been removed from portage?
9 >> I think that the standard answer is "you can't". I mean, you could
10 >> fetch an old copy of the ebuild from cvs, and add it to a local
11 >> overlay, but you'd be completely unsupported (unsupportable?).
12 >>
13 >> A better question would be - Why do you want to?
16 > This server is ~50 miles away, and if I screw something
17 > and it does not boot up, I will have to go there and fix it
18 > on place. One small typo in ~50 config-files which must be
19 > updated is just enough to cause it...
20 >
21 > Anyway I'm surprised that everything older than 2.0.3
22 > has been simply thrown overboard, especially while it
23 > worked for us without a problem for many years...
24
25 Personally, I quite like baselayout-2, and had a smooth time upgrading
26 my 3 boxes - two in advance of stabilisation and one which did the
27 baselayout upgrade as part of a normal upgrade. I only noticed when
28 the latter asked me to merge the config files :P
29
30 I suppose that your options for packages which depend back to
31 baselayout are to hack their various config files / init scripts to
32 make them baselayout-1 compatible, or to avoid upgrading them.
33
34 You could clone your current install into a new /root, upgrade and set
35 grub to boot into /root one time only, then to fall back to /bakroot.
36 Slightly outside my expertise, but grub can be told to boot one option
37 by default just once, and then to return to a different default
38 subsequently.
39
40 Good luck!