From: Sascha Lucas <sascha.lucas@×××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] idea about small footprint gentoo
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 08:34:38
1 Hi Iain,
2
3 thanks a lot for your post (for the tips etc.).
4
5 > I did much of the initial work to prove the concept and handed it over
6 > to someone else to turn into a reproducible system. As far as I know,
7 > we've had 3 or 4 running continuously for quite a few months now.
8
9 Do you have a website were you publish your concept?
10
11 > Our particular requirement was to make a running system for a 64 Mb
12 > sandisk, with enough space left over for about 10-12 Mb of our own
13 > software. This is an embedded control system (no X), and we wanted a
14 > very similar installation on our HMI (X, gnome, and other such boggy
15 > apps :) running the same kernel so we could copy programs between them
16 > if need be. (The HMI runs a complete installation.)
17
18 A System with X is also my intension.
19
20 > If you're planning on doing it in a short amount of time, think again!
21 > It won't be trivial, but the concept is at least possible.
22
23 I'm very lucky that you have no unresolvable problems (yet), so I'm
24 looking forward. In the next few month I will start to work on this.
25 Currently I'm thinking (thinking only, nothing is done) of using qemu for
26 the "identification boot/run". It would be amazingly if a mechanism can be
27 found, to dynamicaly bring in a file into an intial emtpy system.
28
29 THX,
30
31 Sascha.