From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] synaptic touchpad stopped scrolling!
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 13:45:56
1 Hi,
2
3 I can't live without my touchpad extentions (scrolling, tap to click,
4 etc). All provided somehow by the synaptics driver, but I've never
5 really looked into how.
6
7 Recently I noticed it stopped working but I don't know what I've changed
8 as I've been docked for so long with a usb mouse.
9
10 I've had the same section layout for aaaages:
11 Section "InputDevice"
12 Identifier "Synaptic Touchpad"
13 Driver "synaptics"
14 Option "Device" "/dev/input/mouse0"
15 Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
16 Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
17 EndSection
18
19 The xorg.0.log error is:
20 SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad can't grab event device, errno=16
21
22 I tried first changing
23 Option "GrabEventDevice" "false"
24 but that didn't work. I noticed this:
25 (II) config/hal: Adding input device SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad
26 so I thought maybe hal is grabbing the touchpad and interfering somehow.
27 I tried to turn off hal in my serverlayout section:
28 Option "AutoAddDevices" "false"
29 but that doesn't help either. Now there's hardly any synaptic messages
30 in xorg.0.log, no errors, and I still can't scroll.
31
32 I'm sure theres some simple USE flag or option that I need to use but I
33 can't find it! More to the point I would like to understand why it
34 worked for so long but doesn't now (I've been using a similar xorg.conf
35 file for... a long time!).
36
37 any suggestions?
38
39 thanks,
43 It is up to us to produce better-quality movies.
44 -- Lloyd Kaufman, producer of "Stuff Stephanie in the Incinerator"