From: Ricardo Bevilacqua <rus.spes@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: PATA performance
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 15:40:40
1 2008/6/28 Florian Philipp <lists@f_philipp.fastmail.net>:
2 > Hi list!
3 >
4 > I've got a little question. Here I've got a PC with two 40GB hard
5 > disks, a CD-burner and a DVD-burner, all PATA. Now I'm running out of
6 > disk space and I'm thinking about ways to increase it:
7 >
8 > 1. I could replace the older 40GB disk with a new model but I'd hate to
9 > trash it because it's working alright.
10 >
11 > 2. I could replace the really old and rather useless CD-burner with a
12 > disk. However, that would mean I'd have to attach the DVD-burner and
13 > one of the disks to the same controller. Now I'm asking myself (and
14 > you ;) ) how that would affect performance. Would it cause problems
15 > when both devices exchange data, for example when burning or ripping a
16 > DVD? Could I still watch a DVD while, for example, making a backup to
17 > or from that HDD?
18 >
19 > Thanks in advance!
20 >
21 > Florian Philipp
24 Hi Florian!
25
26 My pc has one disk and the DVD burner in the same port. The disk is
27 where I have my Gentoo, and I can update my system while watching
28 movies with my DVD. So do not worry about performance, as you said,
29 the disk is faster than any DVD/CD that you could have. The only way
30 to experience some slightly performance drop is having two disks in
31 the same controller.
32
33 I do not know where you live, but here, in Argentina, is very
34 difficult to find a new PATA disk. Every computer store only has SATA
35 drives and maybe a couple of 80-160GB PATA disks.
36
37 Hope this helps you.
38
39 Regards,