From: Dale <teendale@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] big problem, small solution
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 18:02:14
1 Daniel da Veiga wrote:
2 > On 6/30/06, Dale <teendale@×××××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Sean wrote:
4 >> >
5 >> > I recently replaced the fans and heat sinks on my dual opterons to
6 >> > bring the temp down, I was also very much trying to bring the nose
7 >> > level down from the fans.
8 >> >
9 >> > I used 2 copper heat fans with heat pipes from thermaltake, and put
10 >> > some 90 mm fans on each cpu/heatsink.
11 >> > I also put a new case around them to improve air flow.
12 >> >
13 >> > You want more air being pulled out of your box then going in.
14 >> > I manually monitor and control the fan speed and with the new setup I
15 >> > have been able to get the processor fans rpms down to 1800-2000, a
16 >> > real help to reduce noise, with the temp averaging about 46c when
17 >> idle.
18 >> >
19 >> > When I have done something, perhaps emerge some program, whatever,
20 >> > temp goes to about 50-52c.
21 >> >
22 >> > Check the specs on your processor to see what the operating temp range
23 >> > is so you do not burn things up.
24 >> >
25 >> > Hope it helps,
26 >> > Sean
27 >> Well, I have a AMD 2500+ and mine doesn't run near that temp. Just
28 >> plain old air cooling with folding running and I am at 37 and 27. I
29 >> have a ThermalTake 12 on mine.
30 >>
31 >> Why does everybody have these high temps??
34 > Notebooks are usually hotter than desktops, also, when your room
35 > temperature is about 30C, you will NEVER get 27C on your processor,
36 > and, well, have you consider checking your sensors to see if they're
37 > working fine (maybe checking the BIOS hardware monitor, if available),
38 > cause I never saw a computer running 100% CPU load that does not rise
39 > to 30 or 40C.
42 Yep, it is measuring right. I just have good circulation in my case and
43 a good CPU heatsink.
44
45 Dale
47 --