From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] UPS and serial or USB connections
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 09:38:23
1 Dale wrote:
2 > Howdy,
3 >
4 > Newegg just had a sale on a really nice UPS. I got one. Anyway, it has
5 > both serial and USB connections. I have a question about these. I
6 > could use either one but not sure if it matters. Does the USB
7 > connection offer any additional features over the serial connection? I
8 > could use USB but would rather use serial since nothing else I have is
9 > serial but I have a bit of USB devices. Also, I never disconnect the
10 > serial cable from either the system or the UPS when either is in use.
11 > Sort of defeats the purpose I guess. Since it also has screws to make
12 > sure the serial cable doesn't come undone, the serial has one
13 > advantage. I'm not sure what would happen if it looses the connection
14 > all of a sudden. Does it do like NORAD and assume power is out? lol
15 >
16 > So, since I already have everything set up for serial connections,
17 > should I just keep using it or does the USB have more goodies?
18 >
19 > Thanks.
20 >
21 > Dale
22 >
23 > :-) :-)
26 > P. S. Crap, there goes my uptime again. :-@
29 OK. I finally bit the bullet and did a shutdown. I *had* over 30 days
30 of uptime too. Grrrrr !!
31
32 Anyway, when I connected it to the serial port, it would rather rudely
33 cut off my puter after a couple minutes. Click, off. So, I hooked up
34 the USB cable so that I could get back to going again. I'm going to
35 have to google on how to get this to work with the serial cable. I
36 found the settings for USB but nothing for this driver and a serial
37 connection.
38
39 This is the info I get from the UPS with a USB connection for those
40 interested.
41
42 root@fireball / # upsc ups
44 battery.charge.low: 10
45 battery.charge.warning: 20
46 battery.mfr.date: CPS
49 battery.type: PbAcid
50 battery.voltage: 13.9
51 battery.voltage.nominal: 12
52 device.mfr: CPS
53 device.model: CP 1350C
54 device.type: ups
55 driver.name: usbhid-ups
56 driver.parameter.pollfreq: 30
57 driver.parameter.pollinterval: 2
58 driver.parameter.port: auto
61 driver.version: 2.6.3
62 driver.version.data: CyberPower HID 0.3
63 driver.version.internal: 0.35
65 input.transfer.low: 90
66 input.voltage: 124.0
68 output.voltage: 124.0
69 ups.beeper.status: enabled
70 ups.delay.shutdown: 20
71 ups.delay.start: 30
72 ups.load: 16
73 ups.mfr: CPS
74 ups.model: CP 1350C
77 ups.status: OL
78 ups.test.result: Done and passed
79 ups.timer.shutdown: -60
80 ups.timer.start: 0
82 root@fireball / #
83
84 I got to make some changes tho. When it cut me off, it did NOT do a
85 clean shutdown. It just cut off. That ain't going to work for me. o_O
86
87 Dale
88
92 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!