From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev-181 saga continues with udisks (~amd64)
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2012 18:24:53
1 On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 12:47 PM, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
2 > I have been masking udev-181 so that I can continue to keep my current
3 > system with / and /usr separate partitions.
4 >
5 > This has required masking pciutils and usbutils as well.
6 > /etc/portage/package.mask/udev-181 contains
7 > >=sys-fs/udev-181
8 > >=sys-apps/pciutils-3.1.9-r2
9 > >=sys-apps/usbutils-005-r1
10 >
11 > Now udisks-1.99.0-r1 wants to pull in a new package udev-init-scripts.
12 > I currently have udisks-1.98.0 which is fine.
13 >
14 > I added
15 > >=sys-fs/udisks-1.99.0
16 > to package.mask/udev-181 and emerge --pretend --update world reports no
17 > conflicts.
18 >
19 > I was about to proceed when I looked at eix udisks and noticed that
20 > 1. "my" udisk -1.98.0 is no longer there
21 > 2. The 1-99.0-r1 is now in slot 2 and new 1.0.4-r[23] are in slot 0.
22 > I looked at -r3 and it wants >=udev-171-r5. Since I have -r6 my sys.
23 > should meet the requirement.
24 >
25 > So I wonder if my mask >=sys-fs/udisks-1.99.0 is a bad idea and I should
26 > instead be forcing/encouraging udisks-1.0.4-r3 (and, if so, how?).
27
28 Not a bad idea per se, but you do realize that you cannoy keep masking
29 some stuff and upgrading the rest, right? If you are happy with udisks
30 1.98, get the ebuild /var/db/pkg/sys-fs/udisk-1.98.0 (if still there),
31 and keep it in a personal overlay. The same with all the stuff you
32 need for not upgrading udev.
33
34 But anyway, this will only work for some time; at some point, it is
35 possible (and highly probable) that something you need will require
36 udisks-1.99, or another package that itself requires a newer version
37 of udev. The only way to avoid the upgrade is to left everything as it
38 is (don't upgrade), or trying something like Walt's mdev setup:
39
40 http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Mdev
41
42 Of course, not every software will work with that, contrary to udev.
43
44 If you want to force an old version of udev, you will (eventually)
45 force an old version of everything that depends directly or indirectly
46 on udev. There is no way around that.
47
48 I believe (for reading your posts into the list) that you really don't
49 want an initramfs, or at least dracut. I would give it a try; I'm
50 pretty sure is easier than juggling package masks.
51
52 Regards.
53 --
54 Canek Peláez Valdés