From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] The SIMPLEST web server to config (this time - just for serving video files) ?
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 18:22:58
1 Hi,
2 Pandu asked a similar question a few days ago about serving up
3 files, but mostly for distfiles IIRC. It got me thinking about doing
4 the same sort of thing, but this time to serve up MP4 video files for
5 my Kindle Fire as well as other computers on _only_ my home network.
6 Sort of an in-house Mark's Watch Instantly setup. I've now got a few
7 hundred gigabyte of mp4 files ripped with Grant's suggested app
8 Handbrake. They look good on my desktop playing in xine. When the
9 Kindle Fire arrives I'd like to have a web server running on my
10 private network that Silk (Amazon's KF broswer) could access, possibly
11 presenting nothing but the alphabetical folders that the video files
12 are in, and then if I select one it starts streaming that file.
13
14 My main issue isn't really the lightest in terms of memory or CPU
15 usage, but rather something that's VERY easy to setup the config so
16 that I don't have to spend much time reading manuals.
17
18 From browsing around a lot of pages on the web it seems that there
19 are a number of small & light servers (in terms of memory anyway) in
20 portage. Some names: fnord, thttpd, boa, monkeyd & cherokee. Does
21 anyone know if one of those would fit my main need of just being
22 extremely simple to setup and keep running for this one purpose?
23
24 Thanks in advance,
25 Mark