From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] update xorg && kde-meta
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 14:57:44
1 Hello,
2
3 Some time ago, I upgraded several systems I manage.
4 First was the (painful) upgrade of kde-monolith
5 to kde-meta. [1]
6
7 Then the easier of the two xorg 6.8 to xorg 7.0. [2]
8
9 I have kept these pacakges masked for a while on other systems,
10 some of which I only get possession of sporadically for critical/huge
11 upgrade.
14 So my questions are:
15
16 1. Are these still the most updated urls?
17
18 2. Which should be performed first kde monolithic-->meta
19 or Xorg to Xorg-modular?
20
21 3. Is there any method to streamline/automate these tasks
22 so that the machines compile the new software overnight, unattended?
23
24 (note distcc is not used, since these are 'traveling portables'
25 that are often sync'd and updated away from our main office.
28 thoughts and recomendations are most welcome.
29
30 [1] http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/kde-split-ebuilds.xml
31 [2] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/x/x11/modular-x-howto.xml
34 James