From: Peter Alfredsen <loki_val@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Time to move on?
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 11:45:25
1 On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 19:17:53 -0600
2 Mike Diehl <mdiehl@××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > It seems that as
5 > long as I keep rebuilding machines from a current live CD, all is
6 > well. But if I try to upgrade anything else, I end up having to
7 > reformat. I've been using Gentoo long enough to have actually met
8 > Daniel Robbins in person, but I'm considering moving to a different
9 > distribution.
10
11 I would say that if you do a complete world update at least every six
12 months, followed by revdep-rebuild, keeping Gentoo up-to-date should be
13 relatively painless, excluding all the blockers you have to resolve.
14 ie.:
15 emerge -uDNav world
16 revdep-rebuild -i -- -a
17
18 The libselinux problems you ran into are known, but that's also the
19 reason why libselinux is masked on all recent profiles.
20
21 /loki_val