From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Questions about SATA and hot plugging.
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 20:10:28
1 On 2010-12-16, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Your cables are perfect for internal drives. Keep in mind that the
4 > internal connectors are only spec'ed for 50 insertions in their
5 > lifetime.
6
7 In my experience, the real lifetime is closer to 5. In 25 years of
8 dealing with computer cabling and connectors, the surface-mount
9 internal SATA connectors on motherboards are by far the most fragile
10 ones I've ever come across. In years and years of dealing with SCSI,
11 IDE/ATA, floppies, and several flavors of MFM and RLL cabling, I don't
12 ever remember one of them breaking. I've seen quite a few internal
13 motherboard SATA connectors break -- or even get pulled off the board.
14 And it's not just me, I've seen other people break them just as much.
15 IMO, they're gargabe. Other than the fragile surface-mount
16 connectors, I do like SATA.
17
18 OTOH, back when a decent PC cost you $5K, a few dollars on a good
19 connector wasn't a big deal. These days when you have to build a
20 Motherboard for $20, you just can't put $5 worth of connectors on it.
21
22 > They aren't made to be messed with very much.
23
24 Very true.
27 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Boys, you have ALL
28 at been selected to LEAVE th'
29 gmail.com PLANET in 15 minutes!!