From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gigabyte wont boot
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 23:00:36
1 James wrote:
2 > Dale <rdalek1967 <at> gmail.com> writes:
6 >> http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3996#manual
7 > I got a second identical mobo delivered today, so now I have
8 > a book. Check the connectors to the Front panel, all is correct.
9 > The mobo is Rev. 1.1. Swapped out ram, too, just to test.
12 That's a start. lol
13
14 >> Does it beep?
15 > NO. Would that suggest a dead mobo? The little speaker is attached
16 > but does not beep or anything...... The power supply is plugged into
17 > the mobo correctly. It's a new power supply and cables.
18
19 It should beep even if everything is fine. I think mine gives one long
20 beep when all is good but do NOT take that as golden. It's been over 3
21 months since I rebooted. I can't recall exactly.
24 >> If so, is it the normal beep or a error code beep? If
25 >> error code, then check to see if it sheds light on the problem. I would
26 >> also unplug, give the connectors a good looking over then plug it back
27 >> up. I'd do that for everything I could.
28 > Yep, verified wiring 3 times. Might have a bad cable, so I'm going to replace
29 > them all one at a time and see if that makes any difference. The mobo
30 > is just not even trying to boot. No video signal to monitor.
31
32 I would remove anything I could and see if it beeps. First, get it to
33 beep tho. Unless it is dead, it should have some sort of beep. Remove
34 all but one stick of ram, video card, drives and anything else.
35 Basically, mobo itself, CPU and a stick of memory.
38 >> The only other thing I can think of, does the BIOS version support that
39 >> CPU? I have always wondered what would happen if you put a CPU on a
40 >> mobo that the BIOS doesn't support but would with a newer BIOS. I
41 >> *think* the BIOS version is on the box with the serial number and such.
42 > The book does say the processor must be installed. This mobo is for
43 > the fx8350 so something is bad. I'm gonna build up the second machine
44 > and see what happens....
45 >
46 > This mobo appears to be borked, right out of the box.
47 >
48 > any other ideas?
51 > James
54 Yea, it has to have a CPU on it to make it do something. My thought
55 was, what if the version of BIOS that is installed does not support the
56 specific CPU you have on there. I know that mine will support a lot of
57 CPUs IF it has the latest version of BIOS. If it still had the BIOS
58 that came on it, it does not see the newer CPUs. I would have to
59 upgrade the BIOS first then upgrade.
60
61 If all else fails, maybe it is dead.
62
63 Dale
64
68 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!