From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] PostgreSQL Vs MySQL @Uber
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2016 17:49:19
1 On Fri, Jul 29, 2016 at 4:58 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Interesting article explaining why Uber are moving away from PostgreSQL. I am
3 > running both DBs on different desktop PCs for akonadi and I'm also running
4 > MySQL on a number of websites. Let's which one goes sideways first. :p
5 >
6 > https://eng.uber.com/mysql-migration/
9 There is a thread on this on the Postgres lists as well (unsurprisingly):
10
11 https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/579795DF.10502%40commandprompt.com#579795DF.10502@×××××××××××××.com
12
13 I'm only halfway through it but the Postgres devs strike me as being
14 very levelheaded and competent. They seem to acknowledge the genuine
15 issues and point of some of the tradeoffs that Uber is making without
16 pointing them out.
17
18 One thing I really did like about the Uber post was that even if it
19 isn't a complete/fair comparison/etc it is really informative as an
20 introduction into how some of the architecture works. The same
21 applies to much of the Postgres thread. I found it really useful for
22 understanding how both indexing/replication solutions work under the
23 hood.
26 Rich