From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Getting maximum space out of a hard drive
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2022 00:15:56
1 On Thu, Aug 25, 2022 at 4:59 PM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 <SNIP>
3 > I may do some mobo hunting shortly. See what little thing I can buy
4 > that is powerful enough. I don't think a Raspberry Pi is enough. It
5 > gets close tho. Biggest thing, I'd need a lot of SATA ports. LOTS of
6 > them.
7
8 Granted, I had a couple of old cases which lowered the cost but
9 I went to a local computer store and bought used motherboards
10 that came with processors and memory. They were both Core i7
11 but I paid only about $75 each. I needed power supplies and hard drives
12 so each machine ended up around $350 or so by the time I was done.
13 Each has 2 4TB drives for storage and a 1TB drive for the OS. A lot
14 of used motherboards have on-board VGA and Gb/S networking.
15
16 These are TrueNAS machines, FreeBSD not Linux, but they have
17 a Linux version now if that makes you more comfortable.
18
19 I'd stick with AMD64 as it's better tested and I don't think you'll
20 get the network throughput you need to be fast with a Raspberry Pi