From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo Live 11.0
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 15:23:47
1 On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 7:55 AM, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht <markknecht <at> gmail.com> writes:
5 >> Hybrid runs on either 32-bit or 64-bit hardware.
6 >> MultilLib requires 64-bit hardware.
7 > Thanks Mark,
8 >
9 > Yep, got that. There is no "hybrid" profile? Not
10 > that I can find.
11 >
12 > Is what about all those 32 bit goodies like plugins
13 > window-compatibility-software etc etc?
16 Generally yes, or that's my understanding.
17
18 > So the only real question is does my amd64 machines
19 > need hybrid in some circumstances, like depending
20 > of the software that I run?  If so, is there a listing
21 > of software that needs the 32 bit support?
24 Yes, it's based on the software_ you_ choose to install. I may be
25 wrong but I think a default Gentoo 64-bit install to the level of
26 @system booting the machine and little at all in
27 /var/lib/portage/world won't install the 32-bit emulation libraries.
28
29 Run
30
31 eix -I emul-linux-x86
32
33 to see which ones you have installed and
34
35 equery depends
36
37 to see what packages depend on each one you do have installed. (If any)
38
39 Hope this helps,
40 Mark