From: tuxic@××××××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] clone root from HDD to SSD causes no video with NVIDIA driver
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2020 11:56:24
1 On 06/09 05:13, Raffaele BELARDI wrote:
2 > > -----Original Message-----
3 > > From: tuxic@××××××.de <tuxic@××××××.de>
4 > > Sent: Tuesday, June 9, 2020 05:44
5 > > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
6 > > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] clone root from HDD to SSD causes no video with
7 > > NVIDIA driver
10 > > Hi,
11 > >
12 > > if even displaying the console login failed, then the hole display system has
13 > > gone nuts...but since the boot process as such (that is:
14 > > the bios prompt right after POSTing) is visible, I would say, that there is no
15 > > physical problem (that is: cable connected to port 2 of the monitor while the
16 > > monitor is switched to port 1 and such).
17 > >
18 > > I would try this:
19 > > Boot your PC, ssh into the PC and download the according nvidia-drivers
20 > > directly from NVIDIA of the same version.
21 > >
22 > > quickpkg the installed drivers and remove them
23 > >
24 > > Check whether /usr/src/linux links to the kernel sources of the kernel
25 > > version you are booting.
26 > >
27 > > Install the NVIDIA-drivers you have downloaded.
28 > >
29 > > Reboot.
30 > >
31 > > Background:
32 > > The portage package does not install nvidia-drivers correctly - in my case, X
33 > > and such works fine but RTX/Optix which is used by Blender was defunc.
34 > > After installing the original package and masked the one which came with
35 > > portage everything works fine.
36 >
37 > But the portage driver works on this same system when booted from the HDD instead of the SSD so I'd think the driver is ok, unless it has some dependency on UEFI vs MBR. That would be strange, but anything is possible.
38 >
39 > Raffaele
42 Hi,
43
44 since I am using an EFI-boot with NVidia-drivers, which boots from SSD
45 may be my configurations may help:
46
47 kernel:
48
49 #
50 # Frame buffer Devices
51 #
52 CONFIG_FB_CMDLINE=y
53 CONFIG_FB_NOTIFY=y
54 CONFIG_FB=y
55 # CONFIG_FIRMWARE_EDID is not set
56 CONFIG_FB_CFB_FILLRECT=y
57 CONFIG_FB_CFB_COPYAREA=y
58 CONFIG_FB_CFB_IMAGEBLIT=y
59 CONFIG_FB_SYS_FILLRECT=y
60 CONFIG_FB_SYS_COPYAREA=y
61 CONFIG_FB_SYS_IMAGEBLIT=y
62 # CONFIG_FB_FOREIGN_ENDIAN is not set
63 CONFIG_FB_SYS_FOPS=y
64 CONFIG_FB_DEFERRED_IO=y
65 CONFIG_FB_MODE_HELPERS=y
66 CONFIG_FB_TILEBLITTING=y
67
68 #
69 # Frame buffer hardware drivers
70 #
71 # CONFIG_FB_CIRRUS is not set
72 # CONFIG_FB_PM2 is not set
73 # CONFIG_FB_CYBER2000 is not set
74 # CONFIG_FB_ARC is not set
75 # CONFIG_FB_ASILIANT is not set
76 # CONFIG_FB_IMSTT is not set
77 # CONFIG_FB_VGA16 is not set
78 # CONFIG_FB_UVESA is not set
79 # CONFIG_FB_VESA is not set
80 # CONFIG_FB_EFI is not set
81 # CONFIG_FB_N411 is not set
82 # CONFIG_FB_HGA is not set
83 # CONFIG_FB_OPENCORES is not set
84 # CONFIG_FB_S1D13XXX is not set
85 # CONFIG_FB_NVIDIA is not set
86 # CONFIG_FB_RIVA is not set
87 # CONFIG_FB_I740 is not set
88 # CONFIG_FB_LE80578 is not set
89 # CONFIG_FB_MATROX is not set
90 # CONFIG_FB_RADEON is not set
91 # CONFIG_FB_ATY128 is not set
92 # CONFIG_FB_ATY is not set
93 # CONFIG_FB_S3 is not set
94 # CONFIG_FB_SAVAGE is not set
95 # CONFIG_FB_SIS is not set
96 # CONFIG_FB_NEOMAGIC is not set
97 # CONFIG_FB_KYRO is not set
98 # CONFIG_FB_3DFX is not set
99 # CONFIG_FB_VOODOO1 is not set
100 # CONFIG_FB_VT8623 is not set
101 # CONFIG_FB_TRIDENT is not set
102 # CONFIG_FB_ARK is not set
103 # CONFIG_FB_PM3 is not set
104 # CONFIG_FB_CARMINE is not set
105 # CONFIG_FB_SMSCUFX is not set
106 # CONFIG_FB_UDL is not set
107 # CONFIG_FB_IBM_GXT4500 is not set
108 # CONFIG_FB_VIRTUAL is not set
109 # CONFIG_FB_METRONOME is not set
110 # CONFIG_FB_MB862XX is not set
111 CONFIG_FB_SIMPLE=y
112 # CONFIG_FB_SM712 is not set
113 # end of Frame buffer Devices
114
115 kernel commandline
116 BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-5061700-64-RT root=/dev/nvme0n1p3 ro console=tty1 nomodeset enable_mtrr_cleanup mtrr_spare_reg_nr=6 mtrr_gran_size=64K mtrr_chunk_size=64M
117
118 These are examples...please adapt to your setup accordingly.
119
120 HTH!
121 :)
122