From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: minimal installation CD iso is where?, &&
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2015 22:28:27
1 On Fri, Aug 7, 2015 at 3:46 PM, Heiko Baums <lists@××××××××××××.de> wrote:
2 > If packages that don't need systemd as a hard dependency or are
3 > installed with USE=-systemd write anything which is important for them
4 > or could break them even without systemd into one of those systemd
5 > directories which I have in my INSTALL_MASK, this would be definitely a
6 > bug, either up- or downstream.
7
8 Udev installs into such a path, and currently does not depend on
9 systemd (in fact, they block each other).
10
11 Obviously you don't use udev, but in general as more stuff ends up in
12 systemd you'll probably find more important stuff with "systemd" in
13 the filename. I'd suggest taking the time to understand what it is
14 before you decide that you don't want it (speaking generally, I'm not
15 suggesting that you didn't know what you're doing when you switched to
16 eudev). Heck, even gummiboot is being merged into systemd.
17
18 I don't think it is productive to go back and forth on the rest of
19 this stuff. If folks take your advice and run into problems, they can
20 always ask you for help. One of the wonderful things about this
21 mailing list is that a new person can ask a problem and get 12
22 different answers with absolutely nothing distinguishing between
23 somebody who started using Gentoo the week before and somebody who has
24 been using it for ten years. :)
25
26 >> (Fun piece of Gentoo trivia. Most Gentoo-derived systems don't run
27 >> either openrc or systemd - they run upstart, despite it not even being
28 >> in the main Gentoo repository. Go figure...)
29 >
30 > Out of interest: Which ones?
31
32 That would be the #1 selling pre-installed linux desktop distro:
33 ChromeOS. Most Linux users don't realize that there are far more
34 laptops sold with software installed using emerge than with apt-get.
35 You probably won't find that tidbit on distrowatch either. :)
36
37 CoreOS is also a Gentoo-derived distro, being based on ChromiumOS.
38
39 It should be noted that in their end state I don't think either is
40 shipped with the portage package manager actually installed. Their
41 master images are built using it, however.
44 Rich