From: "Nelson
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Init scripts waiting for deps in progress
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 13:04:20
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: Uwe Thiem [mailto:uwix@××××.na]
3 > Sent: 08 January 2007 10:25
4 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Init scripts waiting for deps in progress
8 > On 07 January 2007 19:10, Daniel Barkalow wrote:
9 > > I have the following set of init stuff:
10 > >
11 > > net.wireless depends on ipw3945d
12 > > ntp-client depends on net
13 > > net.wireless automagically starts when the interface
14 > "wireless" appears
15 > > net.wireless is in the boot runlevel
16 > >
17 > > When I boot the computer, it starts ipw3945d before
18 > net.wireless, but not
19 > > in time for the "wireless" interface to appear before it
20 > tries to start
21 > > net.wireless. Moments later, the interface appears, and it runs
22 > > net.wireless again, asynchronously, and it spends a while
23 > starting up (it
24 > > has to find the correct network, and dhcp, etc).
25 > >
26 > > While net.wireless is starting up, the system synchronously starts
27 > > ntp-client, which attempts to start net.wireless; this
28 > fails (it's already
29 > > starting), and so ntp-client fails. Then the asynchronous
30 > net.wireless
31 > > finishes starting, and I have network, but no ntp-client.
32 >
33 > You didn't say which runlevel started ntp-client. Assuming it
34 > is also in your
35 > boot runlevel, you can try to move it to your default
36 > runlevel. That way, it
37 > will start a bit later.
38 >
39 > Uwe
42 A quick and dirty fix may include a sleep statement somewhere for a few
43 seconds, if needed?
44
45 David
46 Note: These views are my own, advice is provided with no guarantee of
47 success. I do not represent anyone else in any emails I send to this
48 list.
51 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list