From: "Timothy A. Holmes" <tholmes@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Fairwell for now
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 20:07:41
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: Moser, Dan [mailto:DMoser@×××××××××.com]
3 > Sent: Friday, March 10, 2006 10:44 AM
4 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 > Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Fairwell for now
9 > > -----Original Message-----
10 > > From: Dave Moore [mailto:dave.j.moore@×××××.com]
11 > > Sent: Friday, March 10, 2006 10:35 AM
12 > > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
13 > > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fairwell for now
14 > >
15 > > > Gentoo is pretty stable.. the installer isn't try the old
16 > > way it's way
17 > > > better and makes you more familiar with your system
18 > >
19 > > I just finished (about a week ago) my first non-binary
20 > > install of a linux distribution, compiling from a stage3,
21 > > starting with the 2006.0 Gentoo Minimal Install CD. As
22 > > someone who is still relatively new to Linux, I can attest
23 > > that this was not very difficult, it simply requires patience
24 > > and a lot of looking things up. Now that I've got my system
25 > > up and running, I couldn't be happier
26 > >
27 > > I'd recommend trying this route, I'm glad I did. If I had
28 > > gone with a graphical installer, I wouldn't know half of what
29 > > I know now about Gentoo.. it was a great learning process.
30 > >
31 > > Dave
32 >
33 > I second Dave's opinion.
34
35 [Timothy A. Holmes]
36 At the risk of piling on opinions, I agree as well, after doing 15 or so
37 compiled installs, I have moved to the installer for the simple fact of
38 needing to speed up my deployment. My only complaint with the compiled
39 installation is that it takes a lot of time, I cannot just sit down get
40 it going and move on to other tasks. It is faster for me to do the
41 graphical install (all the effort is at the front end) and then just
42 turn it loose, if I need to later, I can rework the kernel and install
43 that. It may not be the ideal deployment strategy, but it appears to be
44 working reasonably well.
45
46 TIM
53 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list