From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I applied mkswap on root partition
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 01:08:16
1 Teng Wang writes:
2
3 > Today, I applied mkswap on root partition by accident ( I thought that
4 > was swap, but it is root). And since this is the only system on my
5 > laptop, I even don't dare to reboot my computer after that. Does it
6 > really matter? Or what should I do to recover?
7
8 With a litle luck, e2fsck should be able to repair the file system. mkswap
9 only initializes the partition, little data should be written to the first
10 few blocks. This includes the superblock, but you have backups of it every
11 8192 blocks. So try 'e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/hdwhatever', if a simple e2fsck
12 failed, and increase to -b 16385 and so on until it works.
13
14 But I'd reboot the machine first and start with a boot CD. Depending on the
15 availability of free space, your free time, and importance of the data, you
16 probably should backup the partition first, just in case things get messed
17 up.
18
19 Wonko
20 --