From: Nilesh Govindrajan <me@××××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Portable Gentoo (Pen Drive Linux)
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2014 13:33:07
1 On 22-Mar-2014 6:56 pm, "Alan McKinnon" <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 22/03/2014 15:12, Nilesh Govindrajan wrote:
4 > > On 22-Mar-2014 6:39 pm, "Alan McKinnon" <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com
5 > > <mailto:alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>> wrote:
6 > >>
7 > >> On 22/03/2014 15:00, Nilesh Govindrajan wrote:
8 > >> > On 22-Mar-2014 5:42 pm, "Brian Hesdorfer" <zerophnx@×××××.com
9 > > <mailto:zerophnx@×××××.com>
10 > >> > <mailto:zerophnx@×××××.com <mailto:zerophnx@×××××.com>>> wrote:
11 > >> >>
12 > >> >>
13 > >> >> On 3/21/2014 9:53 PM, Nilesh Govindrajan wrote:
14 > >> >>>
15 > >> >>> Hi,
16 > >> >>>
17 > >> >>> Since I don't have a laptop, I'm thinking of installing Gentoo on
18 my
19 > >> >>> USB 3 pen drive. I'll use binpkgs from my desktop so that pen drive
20 > >> >>> lives long.
21 > >> >>>
22 > >> >>> Has anybody tried Samsung's F2FS? I heard it performs better than
23 the
24 > >> >>> traditional ext4/xfs/etc on flash drives.
25 > >> >>>
26 > >> >>> Also the pen drive will be used on random hardware (which can be a
27 > >> >>> laptop or a desktop), so what else do I need to consider other than
28 > >> >>> using genkernel's default configuration (the livecd config, which
29 > >> >>> enables all modules)?
30 > >> >>>
31 > >> >>
32 > >> >> FWIW, I've been F2FS plus encryption with Arch and haven't had any
33 > >> > problems. I'd suggest having anything important backed up somewhere
34 else
35 > >> > since it's still seen as experimental (I think).
36 > >> >>
37 > >> >
38 > >> > Of course. Pen drives are as such not very reliable, so backups are
39 > > a must.
40 > >> >
41 > >> >> If you're using it on random hardware and want X, you'll have to
42 > >> > include the variety of video cards you might run into (Intel, ATI,
43 > >> > Nvidia) in your USE flags.
44 > >> >>
45 > >> >
46 > >> > Will it work out the box without configuration?
47 > >> >
48 > >> >> Also, be wary of the predictable naming for network interfaces
49 > >> > (enp5s0, enp9s2,etc). You might want to disable that feature using
50 > >> > something like "net.ifnames=0" in your bootloader or a udev rule so
51 you
52 > >> > can just set eth0 to DHCP and it will work on most machines.
53 > >> >>
54 > >> >
55 > >> > NetworkManager helps with that, or may be just run dhcpcd.
56 > >> >
57 > >>
58 > >>
59 > >> I suspect you will end up duplicating a lot of work that is already
60 done
61 > >> elsewhere by the binary distros. You'll probably also have your hands
62 > >> full just trying to keep up with video hardware as you'll need at least
63 > >> intel, fglrx and nvidia drivers (plus maybe nouveau and radeon).
64 > >>
65 > >> Are you 100% sure you want to go that route? Sounds like a huge amount
66 > >> of work. In your position, I would rather investigate a LiveCD type
67 > >> solution with a persistent fs layer on top and let the distro do all
68 the
69 > >> heavy lifting.
70 > >>
71 > >> Especially as you don't have the target hardware to hand for testing,
72 > >> you can only test by plugging the stick and seeing if it works.
73 > >>
74 > >>
75 > >>
76 > >>
77 > >> --
78 > >> Alan McKinnon
79 > >> alan.mckinnon@×××××.com <mailto:alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
80 > >>
81 > >>
82 > >
83 > > I realize those problems, and that's why I've stayed away till now. I'm
84 > > running Fedora currently on the pen drive.
85 > > But the unmatched flexibility of gentoo is tempting me.
86 > >
87 > > For example, 3.13.5,6 have problems with USB 3 storage. I've patched the
88 > > kernel on my desktop and it's working fine.
89 > > Such things are against mainstream distros.
90 > >
91 > > What other distros are suited for this use case?
95 > I don't really know, but that's because I too use Gentoo almost
96 > exclusively, nothing else satisfies my OCD need to tweak everything
97 > exactly right :-)
98 >
99 > Pen drives tend to be slow so I think a great hulking monster like
100 > Fedora won't suit the use-case.
101 >
102 > You'd need something smaller and lighter, designed for lower end systems
103 > I think.
104 > Perhaps check out DistroWatch and try out a few? IIRC they have search
105 > and filters that can help pick out the more lean distros
110 > --
111 > Alan McKinnon
112 > alan.mckinnon@×××××.com
116 It works actually. Using gnome3. I've even used it to run eclipse for
117 working on my project at college and friend's laptop.
118 May be debian would be good, need something stable. Gentoo is stable
119 because it's manually tweaked, but too much work to manage that for random
120 hardware.