From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Output of "mount" and "cat /etc/mtab" inside install chroot?
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2014 08:38:53
1 On Monday 21 Apr 2014 00:55:56 yac wrote:
2 > On Sat, 19 Apr 2014 13:54:07 +0100
3 > Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
4 > > The installation handbook used to include a command to
5 > > write /etc/mtab in the chroot by grepping the host mtab
6 >
7 > It was part of grub-install, now grub legacy
8 >
9 > https://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?part=1&chap=10#doc
10 > _chap4
11
12 Yes, thanks, a couple of people posted what it says here the other day. Now
13 I'm puzzling over whether it's good advice.
14
15 For instance, suppose I want to reinstall the chroot in which I keep an image
16 of my Atom box here on my workstation. Then /etc/mtab has:
17 /dev/md5 / [...]
18 but once I chroot into /mnt/atom, where the image lives, that's wrong and
19 should be:
20 /dev/mapper/vg7-atom / [...]
21 because vg7-atom is now the root of the file system.
22
23 Does the handbook need an update? Or maybe it's right after all because when
24 grub runs its installer it's unconcerned with where it's invoked from.
25
26 [Wanders off stage-left, muttering and scratching his head...]
29 Regards
30 Peter