From: Eric Martin <freak4uxxx@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is this firewall safe?
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 17:00:00
1 Marco wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > I set up my first firewall on my notebook (not running any services
5 > reachable from outside) using iptables. Since I am new to the topic,
6 > could you please verify if the output of 'iptables -L -v' is
7 > considered to be a safe firewall? Thanks!
8 >
9 > Chain INPUT (policy DROP 0 packets, 0 bytes)
10 > pkts bytes target prot opt in out source
11 > destination
12 > 0 0 ACCEPT all -- lo any anywhere
13 > anywhere
14 > 0 0 ACCEPT all -- eth0 any anywhere
15 > anywhere state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
16 > 0 0 REJECT tcp -- eth0 any anywhere
17 > anywhere reject-with tcp-reset
18 > 0 0 REJECT udp -- eth0 any anywhere
19 > anywhere reject-with icmp-port-unreachable
20 > 0 0 DROP udp -- eth0 any anywhere
21 > anywhere udp spt:bootps
22 > 0 0 LOG all -- eth0 any anywhere
23 > anywhere LOG level warning prefix `INPUT '
24 > 1 79 ACCEPT all -- wlan0 any anywhere
25 > anywhere state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
26 > 0 0 REJECT tcp -- wlan0 any anywhere
27 > anywhere reject-with tcp-reset
28 > 0 0 REJECT udp -- wlan0 any anywhere
29 > anywhere reject-with icmp-port-unreachable
30 > 0 0 DROP udp -- wlan0 any anywhere
31 > anywhere udp spt:bootps
32 > 0 0 LOG all -- wlan0 any anywhere
33 > anywhere LOG level warning prefix `INPUT '
34 >
35 > Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)
36 > pkts bytes target prot opt in out source
37 > destination
38 > 0 0 LOG all -- any any anywhere
39 > anywhere LOG level warning prefix `FORWARD '
40 > 0 0 LOG all -- any any anywhere
41 > anywhere LOG level warning prefix `FORWARD '
42 >
43 > Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT 5 packets, 1691 bytes)
44 > pkts bytes target prot opt in out source
45 > destination
46 > 0 0 ACCEPT all -- any lo anywhere
47 > anywhere
48 > 0 0 LOG all -- any eth0 anywhere
49 > anywhere LOG level warning prefix `OUTPUT '
50 > 1 52 LOG all -- any wlan0 anywhere
51 > anywhere LOG level warning prefix `OUTPUT '
54 It all depends on what you're trying to do. My internet facing boxes
55 have a default OUTPUT policy of DROP and I only allow certain traffic
56 off of the box (helps protect me from unauthorized services). Also,
57 you're dropping bootps (same ports as dhcp) on udp so I don't think you
58 can get a dhcp address like that. If you're running any services you
59 won't be able to talk to them (ssh). Turn off forwarding in the kernel
60 config (via /etc/sysctl.conf) as well.
61
62 It also took me a few runs to figure out the firewall config (due to the
63 rules and formatting). The last two output rules can be combined into
64 one. Have 1 log line at the bottom of your tables and that will take
65 care of that. Clean and short configs will help immensely when things
66 don't work.