From: LinuxIsOne <linuxisone@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] can one tell me: gentoo vs opensuse
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2011 16:13:41
1 On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 10:56 AM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > As long as we're talking about *you*, and not about someone you're
4 > setting things up for, here's what I'd suggest:
5
6 > 1) Keep your existing Ubuntu setup operational, at least for a while.
7 > Gentoo isn't something you should dive into unless you have a
8 > fallback, at least until you learn enough to be able to fix the things
9 > you'll encounter.
10 > 2) Set up Gentoo as a second machine; it really is a great way to
11 > learn how a lot of the moving parts in Linux work.
12
13 > Once you've got Gentoo doing everything you want it to do, and you've
14 > burned yourself a couple times, you'll be in a good position to make a
15 > decision for yourself. I've actually bounced back and forth between
16 > Ubuntu and Gentoo twice in the last three or four years, but I think
17 > I'm finally ready to go steady with Gentoo. :)
18
19 > Ubuntu is great for "it just works." Ubuntu isn't so great for "it
20 > just keeps working." Neither is Gentoo, for that matter, but, at least
21 > with Gentoo, you'll know how to fix it.
22
23 Ah, thanks for the nice suggestions, I would keep a note of it. I
24 would install in one old machine, I mean I would try to install Gentoo
25 after going through the docs..(of course, required in Gentoo). But one
26 more request can you also suggest about openSUSE? Is openSUSE lies in
27 the middle between Ubuntu and Gentoo?