From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: gnome 3 ??
Date: Sat, 28 May 2011 00:43:34
1 On 05/26/2011 07:04 PM, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
2 > On Thu, May 26 2011, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
3 >
4 >> On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 4:23 PM, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>> Thank you. Some forum posts suggest that upgrading to gnome3 from
7 >>> gnome2 is difficult. Did you
8 >>>
9 >>> 1. Upgrade from 2.32.1
10 >>> 2. Unmerge 2.32.1 then merge 3
11 >>> 3. Do a fresh install of gentoo w/o gnome and then install gnome3
12 >>> 4. Do something else
13 >>
14 >> All of the above? :D
15 >>
16 >> I keyworded and unmasked the necessary packages to make
17 >> =gnome-base/gnome-3.0.0 emergable; then I upgraded like usual. There
18 >> were some problems, but usually solvable by emerge -C the offending
19 >> package (and older version, generally). I removed (after backup)
20 >> ~/.gconf, ~/.gnome2* ~/.metacity ~/.nautilus and ~/.evolution (I
21 >> *think* this was not really necessary, by I wanted to see a "pristine"
22 >> GNOME 3). At the end, I emerge --depclean, and then after a couple of
23 >> emerge -uDNvp world everything went to normal. I haven't had any
24 >> problem since then.
25 >>
26 >> Oh, at some point I emerge @preserved-rebuild and then again emerge
27 >> --depclean.
28 >>
29 >> It took a couple of days of try/error, and be warned that you should
30 >> do this fom a VT, not from X (unless you do it under twm or something
31 >> like that).
32 >
33 > Sounds like I should do it on my spare laptop first.
34 > thanks again.
35
36 Have you considered doing all of this experimenting on a virtual machine?
37
38 VirtualBox is so easy to use now, I will definitely try gnome3 on a VM
39 before "upgrading" on this machine, which is the one I use for real work.