From: "Bo Ørsted Andresen" <bo.andresen@××××.dk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Portage parenthesis
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 06:50:51
1 On Monday 02 October 2006 08:21, Danie Iliev wrote:
2 > Several days ago the guys at gentoo-am64 mailing list explained to me
3 > all these flags enable different CFLAGS optimizations which came as the
4 [SNIP]
5
6 Please don't confuse CFLAGS with USE flags. CFLAGS are passed on to the
7 compiler and tell it what kind of code to generate. E.g. an mmx USE flag
8 usually tells the package through a configure switch (such as --enable-mmx)
9 to autotools to enable some assembly code that uses the mmx instructions
10 instead of some fallback code which doesn't. That assembly code is written
11 manually rather than generated by the compiler (otherwise the CFLAG would
12 suffice).
13
14 > There is also another article which explains why these are hard-masked:
15 >
16 > http://dev.gentoo.org/~plasmaroo/devmanual/archs/amd64/
17
18 Thanks, I forgot that one. The url is obsolete though:
19
20 http://devmanual.gentoo.org/archs/amd64/index.html
23 Bo Andresen