From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: problems with rsync (emerge --sync)
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2010 07:38:33
1 On Thursday 03 June 2010 19:55:29 walt wrote:
2 > On 06/03/2010 05:43 AM, Rod wrote:
3 > > Hi, has anyone had this problem with trying to update the database for
4 > > portage?
5 > >
6 > > It was doing this a while ago, then it stopped (I don't know why) now its
7 > > doing it again..
8 > >
9 > > # emerge --sync
10 > >
11 > > >>> Starting rsync with rsync://91.186.30.235/gentoo-portage...
12 > > >>> Checking server timestamp ...
13 > >
14 > > timed out
15 >
16 > If you don't specify a list of mirrors you want, portage will rotate
17 > randomly through its list. You'll probably get better results if you pick
18 > a handful of servers that are close to you and not overloaded. Emerge
19 > mirrorselect and see if you can get better servers.
20
21 I'm also getting this. Initially I thought that DNS could not resolve for
22 some ISP related reason, but it is more involved than that. It seems like a
23 $SYNC not a $GENTOO_MIRRORS problem.
24
25 I changed the rsync.europe.gentoo.org to rsync.de.gentoo.org and rsync worked.
26 So, could it be that something is wrong with the way the rsync rsync.europe
27 mirrors are meant to be rotated?
28 --
29 Regards,
30 Mick