From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Dolphin only allowing a single instance after update
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2019 09:49:21
1 Mick wrote:
2 > On Friday, 23 August 2019 05:56:07 BST Dale wrote:
3 >> It seems it is hardcoded to do this at the moment.
4 >> This seriously makes me want to start using another file manager. I
5 >> don't mind someone testing new features but at the very least, have it
6 >> where it can be disabled for those who do not want it or are set up not
7 >> to need it.
8 > You're missing the point! As soon as something works as most users want, or
9 > becoming used to at any rate, the KDE devs will <aheam!> /improve/ their
10 > software by breaking its most desired functionality - sometimes irrepairably.
11 > LOL!
12 >
13 > Konqueror was the best file manager ever, with multiple vertical and
14 > horizontal window split, with kio-slaves which would process or play anything
15 > and everything you threw at it, with browser integration, ftp/s and sftp/fish,
16 > etc. Nope, evidently konqueror wasn't good enough, so here comes dolphin
17 > which can't do half of what konqueror was able to offer us. I better not
18 > mention kmail2, because I don't want anyone to think this message was written
19 > by Edgar Allan Poe. :-(
23 I hear you very clearly.  I had my desktop set up just like I needed it
24 so that I didn't have to spend time navigating to things.  Bad thing is,
25 by the time I figured out it was clobbering already running instances, I
26 had closed some tabs/windows and lost my place.  On a couple of them,
27 there is no way for me to know where I left off.  When I stop editing
28 pictures or videos for example, I always highlight or select the last
29 one I did.  If I'm going to logout or something, I write all that info
30 down so I know where I left off.  When a tab gets closed and I don't
31 write it down, no clue where I was at.  It's one reason I had to wait a
32 bit to logout and back in to test that patch.  I had to get to a
33 stopping place and not be downloading anything either.  It takes time to
34 get to that spot.  This new feature really messed me up.  If they going
35 to release some change like this, they should warn people about it.
36 Sort of like Gentoo's news item or something and already have a way to
37 do it the old way.
38
39 I remember Konqueror. It's still around I think but a lot of things are
40 broken or removed last I looked.  Thing is, you could do a LOT of things
41 with that one tool.  Need to copy from another system, no problem.  Need
42 it done securely, still not a problem.  Need a plain file manager, no
43 problem.  That thing was powerful to say the least.  Honestly, I still
44 miss the thing.  I really liked running it as root as a file manager.  I
45 never used it to access the internet as root but as a file manager, it
46 was awesome.  Dolphin started to stink so much, I switched to Krusader.
47
48 Yea, those were the days.  lol
49
50 Dale