From: Ian Zimmerman <itz@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Kernel 4.14.7 no longer switches to VT7
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2017 18:46:22
1 On 2017-12-31 01:56, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2
3 > If you don't mind my asking, what factors make you prefer vanilla to
4 > gentoo sources? (I assume that's what you use.)
5
6 One reason is security fixes. Sometimes longterm vanilla already
7 includes the fixes from mainline, and when it does not, I know that the
8 diff will nearly always apply because they are just two branches of the
9 same git tree.
10
11 The other reason is the extra kconfig options in the gentoo sources,
12 which are on by default and I don't want any of them. I don't remember
13 anymore but I _think_ at some point it wouldn't let me turn them off
14 without extreme violence.
17 Please don't Cc: me privately on mailing lists and Usenet,
18 if you also post the followup to the list or newsgroup.
19 To reply privately _only_ on Usenet, fetch the TXT record for the domain.