From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kernel compilation
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 17:35:20
1 On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 11:33:21 +0200
2 Marc Blumentritt <marc.blumentritt@×××××.de> wrote:
3
4 > 1.) I want to build a kernel, which is nearly monolithic. Everything,
5 > which can be build inside of kernel is built inside of kernel.
6
7 FYI, although this is somewhat popular and seen as a performance
8 enhancement to many, it all it really ends up meaning that you have to
9 reboot the computer to control the parameters of various parts of the
10 kernel (kernel / module parameters are often equivelent).
11
12 It also means you have all functionality all the time. This can be
13 good if it's to prevent initrd usage, as desired, but can also mean a
14 bigger memory footprint for stuff you never use.
15
16 I mention this because I was always a big 'monolithic' fan in the past,
17 but have found the middle ground to be better. Compile in what you use
18 all the time, and leave modularized that which you don't.
19 --
20 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list