From: Jakob Buchgraber <jakob.buchgraber@××××××××××.com>
Subject: [gentoo-user] [Way OT] Kernel Symlink use or not use?
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 19:23:53
1 hi @ all
2
3 I considered switching to LFS a while ago as this would be the only
4 Linux "distribution" fulfilling my requirements (besides Gentoo, of course).
5 So when reading the LFS Book there was a warning saying
6
7 Quote from LFS Book 6.2:
8 >> Some kernel documentation recommends creating a symlink from
9 /usr/src/linux pointing to
10 >> the kernel source directory. This is specific to kernels prior to
11 the 2.6 series and must not be created
12 >> on an LFS system as it can cause problems for packages you may wish
13 to build once your base LFS
14 >> system is complete.
15
16 The Gentoo Documentation however says:
17
18 Quote from http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/kernel-upgrade.xml
19 >> Gentoo requires that the /usr/src/linux symbolic link points to the
20 sources of the kernel you are running.
21
22 Quote from http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/alsa-guide.xml
23 >> Note: The above example assumes that /usr/src/linux symlink points
24 to the kernel sources you want to use. Please ensure the same before
25 proceeding.
26
27 But the $KERNEL_DIR/README says:
28
29 Quote from $KERNEL_DIR/README
30 >> Do NOT use the /usr/src/linux area! This area has a (usually
31 incomplete) set of kernel headers that are used by the library header files.
32 >> They should match the library, and not get messed up by whatever the
33 kernel-du-jour happens to be.
34
35 So after reading this I searched groups.google.com and the forums about
36 this issue and found a different approach, which can be used instead of
37 the /usr/src/linux symlink.
38
39 It's as follows:
40 In /etc/profile
41 Set $KERNEL_DIR to /kernel/src/current (symlink)
42 Set $KBUILD_OUTPUT to /dir/to/store/output/files
43
44 So what's the best way and _why_?
45 Does it even matter?
46
47 Cheers,
48 Jay
51 Join Linuxfriendlyhardware.org project on irc.freenode.org#lfh (german)
52 Registered Linux User #373457
55 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list