From: "David M. Fellows" <fellows@×××.ca>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o, Francisco Ares <frares@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [WAY OT] wanna learn networking internals
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2015 00:30:36
1 On Wed, 2 Sep 2015 14:19:24 -0300
2 Francisco Ares wrote -
3 > --089e013a029e929a39051ec6e045
4 > Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
5 >
6 > Hi,
7 >
8 > Sorry for such WAY out of topic message, but Gentoo users are also way out
9 > of regular computer users.
10 >
11 > I intend to learn more deep details about networking intrinsics, (packets,
12 > ports, negotiation, UDP, multicast, unicast, TCP, ethernet, DHCP,
13 > protocols, and so on) so I decided to recur to this list. Googling the
14 > terms, just gets me to network administration and equipment interconnection.
15 >
16 > Any hints on web resources for this research?
17
18 W. Richard Stevens wrote *the* books on internet protocols back in the days
19 when the world was young. He died in 1999, so they are a bit dated, but most
20 are available online as free pdfs. They are voluminous.
21
22 Try google searchs
23 "Richard Stevens" tcp
24 and "Richard Stevens" unix network programming
25 for links.
26 Dave F