From: Michael Schreckenbauer <grimlog@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Very bad system response
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 09:56:52
1 Hi,
2
3 Am Mittwoch, 7. Februar 2007 04:49 schrieb Norberto Bensa:
4 > Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
5 > > On Dienstag, 6. Februar 2007, Michael Schreckenbauer wrote:
6 > > > I don't think, swap is the cause of this. This system has 1,5GB Ram,
7 > > > swap is nearly never touched :)
8 > >
9 > > swap was only an example. Things that kill performance: big tar, big copy
10 > > around, and everything that touches a lot of files....
11
12 > Check your DMA settings
13
14 DMA is ok. As I wrote in my original report, the hang lasts max 30s, then
15 everything is ok again regardless of io activity. The io-scheduler thingy
16 another member suggested in another thread works so far :)
17
18 > Regards,
19 > Norberto
20