From: pk <peterk2@××××××××.se>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] The End Is Near ... or, get the vaseline, they're on the way!
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2012 20:30:57
1 On 2012-03-17 21:09, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2
3 > seriously, you have seemed to miss some news. There is a move by redhat&co to
4 > move almost everything from / to /usr. With nothing left than some mountpoints
5 > - why put / on its own partition? There is nothing to contain apart from /etc.
6
7 Nope, haven't missed a thing; I'm on the other side of the fence (of
8 course the _right_ side :-) ), where we can keep all our /bin /sbin /usr
9 directories separate and live happily everafter... ;-)
10
11 > Your sarcasm fails because you think that there is an intrinsic reason to keep
12 > / seperate. Well, with / filled with usefull binaries to bring a hosed system
13 > back from the garbage pile that was true for some peole. But with the current
14 > movement there isn't anything there at all.
15
16 You're correct in a sense; if I choose to accept the New World Order
17 (NWO) and put everything into /usr then you would be correct. As it
18 stands now, I'm going in the other direction (putting /, /usr, /var,
19 /home on separate harddrives)... :-D
20
21 But I guess Gentoo itself will adapt to the NWO eventually, unless (by
22 some miracle) some sanity is restored, so I'll have to find a new OS to
23 use (probably FreeBSD)...
24
25 Best regards
26