From: Andrew Syrewicze <asyrewicze@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge --update --deep world installs unwanted packages
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 22:00:40
1 Daniel da Veiga wrote:
2 > On 8/8/06, Andrew Syrewicze <asyrewicze@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Hey eveyone. This is probably a really simple question. I've used debian
4 >> for many years and recnetly made a permanent switch to gentoo, so i'm a
5 >> bit noobish when it comes to portage.
6 >>
7 >> I had pretty much all the programs I want installed on my machine so i
8 >> figured I should run an update to keep everything current, so i ran
9 >> "emerge --update --deep world".
10 >>
11 >> This reinstalled two packages that I had recently removed like epiphany,
12 >> and evolution. When I removed these prior to the update I followed the
13 >> portage documentation on removing them, and ran the proper sequence of
14 >> commands.
15 >>
16 >> so, my question is. How can I stop portage from reinstallin g these
17 >> packages everytime I run an update???
20 > They're probably dependencies from another package. Try
21 >
22 > emerge -uDpvt world
23 >
24 > That is a short for "--update --depp --pretend --verbose --tree".
25 >
26 I ran that command and they showed up in the list, among other things.
27 How would I go about fixing that???
28
29 -ando
30 --