From: Julian Simioni <julian.simioni@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Disk usage during emerge
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2012 10:59:20
1 On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 6:57 PM, Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hello list
4 >
5 > It came to my attention that during (after) an emerge run, df reports
6 > considerably less space available on my / than before the emerge (everything
7 > except /home sits on the root partition). I was wondering how this comes to
8 > be, since I have /var/tmp/portage on tmpfs.
9 >
10 > I am in the middle of a KDE upgrade (4.8.0→4.8.1) right now and before I
11 > started, I downloaded all distfiles and then looked at df /, it showed 1022
12 > blocks, hence about 1 GB of free disk space. I am at package 115 out of 174
13 > right now, and df shows a mere 389k blocks remaining.
14 >
15 > Also before I began the emerge run, I started 'ncdu -x /' which scans all dirs
16 > on the / partition and then I can browse through my FS hieararchy, showing the
17 > disk usage of every directory. Now I ran the same ncdu command again in
18 > another screen, so I can compare it with the first one.
19 >
20 > The folders themselves have 0.1 to 0.2 GB difference between their old and new
21 > state, and ncdu's bottom bar even shows the same values for both apparent and
22 > real total disk usage (rounded to 0.1 GB). So what am I missing here? I
23 > searched df's man page for something about apparent sizes/sparse files, but
24 > then again, why would portage create such files in the first place?
25 >
26 > Do you have any thoughts that might help me understand what I'm seeing?
27 > --
28 > Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
29 > I forbid any use of my email addresses with Facebook services.
30 >
31 > You will find everything in an online database.
32 > Just not what you are looking for.
33
34 Unless you have it mounted on tmpfs for increased compilation speed as
35 many others do, /var/tmp/portage can easily grow to several hundred
36 megabytes as packages are compiled. Once the compilation finishes
37 successfully, it will be cleaned up, so the contents are constantly
38 changing during an emerge, and it may not be easy to track down after
39 the fact.