From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] One package needs two other packages, which cannot be installed simultanously?
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2017 21:34:19
1 On 14/11/2017 03:00, tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I got this:
5 >
6 > * Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be
7 > * installed at the same time on the same system.
8 >
9 > (net-libs/rpcsvc-proto-1.2-r1:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
10 > net-libs/rpcsvc-proto required by (net-analyzer/dsniff-2.4_beta1-r9:0/0::gentoo, installed)
11 > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
14 > (net-libs/libnsl-1.1.0-r1:0/2::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
15 > net-libs/libnsl:0 required by @__auto_slot_operator_replace_installed__
16 > net-libs/libnsl:0= required by (app-emulation/hercules-3.12:0/0::gentoo, installed)
17 > net-libs/libnsl:0= required by (app-text/opensp-1.5.2-r6:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
18 > net-libs/libnsl:0= required by (net-analyzer/dsniff-2.4_beta1-r9:0/0::gentoo, installed)
19 > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
22 > It looks like deoends on packages, which could not be installed at the
23 > same time on the same system.
24 >
25 > Or am I wrong?
26
27 Yeah, you're wrong. David already explained the correct way out of this.
28
29 You need to learn to read portage output. The bits you quoted, and it's
30 quite common to see that section quoted here asking the kind of question
31 you asked, do NOT explain what the problem is.
32
33 That section is mere info, portage is giving you the long version of why
34 it wants to pull in any and all packages referenced in the problem area.
35 The real error is elsewhere in the output, you now have to go and read
36 it and understand it.
37
38 Portage's output sucks, this is very well known. It is either way too
39 verbose in junk you don't care about, or very terse in things you do.
40 But it's what we've got until someone submits a good patch and if you
41 want to run gentoo using portage, then you need to learn to decipher
42 it's output. Them's the breaks I'm afraid.
43
44 I recommend you take the entire output of which you quoted a part and go
45 through it line by line, figuring out why it's there and what it is
46 telling you. You only have to do this once to get a good handle on it,
47 and you will be very glad you did in the future :-)
51 Alan McKinnon
52 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com