From: Thierry de Coulon <tcoulon@××××××××.ch>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Sudden XP death
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2007 07:19:17
1 On Sunday 23 December 2007, maxim wexler wrote:
2 > vmware hasn't even been merged yet. _Booting_ both
3 > OSes is OK. XP fails; gentoo does not. If I'm not
4 > mistaken XP has to at least work before vmware will.
5 (...)
6 > I'm guessing it's my video card, a Radeon 9250
7
8 You are right that XP should work - or you can install it on a virtual
9 machine. I am not sure what advantages you get from running vmware from a
10 partition (unless of course you also want to dual boot).
11
12 My experience with video card is: stick with Nvidia as long as AMD/ATI hasn't
13 cured the driver problems - however this is a Linux advice!
14
15 You are correct about the psu and probably right about the card. It may be a
16 card vs board problem (I had a motherboard that just would not stand a Nvidia
17 6600GT, however it locked, it did not shutdown).
18
19 I'm afraid I can't help more as far as Windows is concerned: the latest
20 version I booted from HD was 3.1 and the latest I run in vmware is 2000.
21
22 Good luck,
23
24 Thierry