From: James Ausmus <james.ausmus@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} SSD instead of RAID1?
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 18:42:40
1 On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 10:43 AM, Florian Philipp <
2 lists@f_philipp.fastmail.net> wrote:
3
4 > Grant schrieb:
7 <snip>
10 > >> You don't need to buy SSD "drives" - instead you could use CF cards and
11 > a
12 > >> cheap adaptor. These are commensurate in capacity & cost with USB flash
13 > >> drives (4gig, maybe 16gig?), but CF cards "talk EIDE" and you can get
14 > cheap
15 > >> pin-convertors allowing you to connect them to EIDE cables and treat
16 > them
17 > >> like a hard-drive.
18 > >
19 > > Aren't CF cards much slower than SSD drives and HD drives?
23 <snip>
27 > If you really need to write to the CFDisk, make sure to buy one with DMA
28 > support (and no, the label "super fast" which is regularly found on
29 > these things does not necessarily mean that it supports DMA).
32 One thing to watch out for if you do go the CF/DMA route - be careful what
33 CF<->IDE/SATA adapter you buy - in an embedded control system project I
34 worked on a few years ago, we went CF + adapter for the primary OS driver,
35 got a super-fast 4GB CF card, and couldn't use the speed of it at all,
36 because the cheapo CF adapter we got was so electrically noisy across the
37 physical adapter pins, that DMA reads/writes would fail, and the speed would
38 get auto-reduced to PIO. Very, very, very annoying. If you get a CF adapter,
39 make sure to spend the extra $5-20 (or however much, I haven't priced in
40 quite a while) to get something that will be compatible with the transfer
41 speeds that you are wanting to use.
42
43 -James