From: Daniel van Ham Colchete <daniel.colchete@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] [OT] Infrastructure documentation
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 20:02:41
1 Hello yall!
2
3 This is half-topic but I think everyone will benefit from the results.
4
5 Here at my company we have 18 Gentoo servers spread over 3 data centers and
6 our office. We have well defined and time-proven (one of the servers was
7 installed in 2004 and it's still the same Gentoo) processes on monitoring,
8 backup, applying security fixes, and maintenance. We have almost 100% of
9 high availability and some services even have high availability across
10 different data centers in Florida and California. We are using catalyst with
11 cfengine to save us a few hours of work every week and everything is working
12 great.
13
14 I would like to move forward to some other projects but most of the
15 knowledge (60%) required to do everything resides on my head alone. I'm hit
16 by a car in the streets and something might go bad, like the required
17 monthly database partition maintenance.
18
19 I would like to hear from the list what you are using for infrastructure,
20 software, processes, hardware documentation. I think I need a system with a
21 good user access control, an all-in-one solution to document everything.
22 Using Wiki+UML would solve the issue (I have 30% already documented in
23 wikis) but (a) none of them were designed for this specific task and (b)
24 they don't integrate, people would have to use two systems that knows
25 nothing about each other.
26
27 What are you gurus doing to be replaceable?
28
29 Thank you very much in advance!
30
31 Best regards,