From: Mike Williams <mike@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Changing role of router
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2006 02:23:16
1 On Sunday 05 March 2006 01:44, Trey Sizemore wrote:
2 > a) Given it's new role, will it still require an IP address?  If so, it
3 > will be on my internal network (vs. DMZ with servers) and have an
4 > address of 192.168.1.1 for example.  Should this be changed now before
5 > I rearrange the configuration?  I assume it needs an IP as I will need
6 > to access the web-based admin interface to turn wireless on and off,
7 > etc.
8
9 If you want to access it it will need an IP, but it doesn't matter when you
10 change it, so long as it doesn't conflict with anything else.
11
12 > b)  I would assume the WAN port would not be used and all machines
13 > using the "hub" would just plug into one of the four LAN ports.
14
15 Yes.
16
17 > c)  I have a "true" hub that will be used in the DMZ consisting of
18 > machines with addresses like 192.168.0.x.  Here I assume the hub would
19 > *not* have an IP assigned to it.
20
21 Depends if it has an admin interface. A dumb hub/switch won't have an IP.
22
23 BTW, a hub is a hub, a switch is a switch. They are different things.
26 Mike Williams
29 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list