From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: upgrading 1-year old system
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2017 15:29:05
1 On 2017-01-29, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 29/01/2017 22:56, thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
3
4 >> I haven't updated my system for over a year (1year and 3-months).
5 [...]
6 >> What is my best option, re-install from scratch, upgrade in stages etc.
7
8 > 1 year 3 months isn't usually that bad and it can be done - I've
9 > done it many times myself. However there are gotchas:
10
11 [...]
12
13 > With those basics out the way, it's a great learning experience. I
14 > recommend you do it at least once.
15
16 I've been through that once or twice, and you'll learn a lot about how
17 portage works and learn about a bunch of packages you depend on
18 utterly but had never really heard of.
19
20 One of the other things you'll learn, is that it would have been a lot
21 faster to re-install from scratch. :)
22
23 One thing I suggest is: don't hesitate to uninstall something
24 non-essential that's causing problems. It's often a _lot_
25 simpler/faster to uninstall a bunch of stuff, get the base system
26 upgrade done, and then re-install things. [Keep a list of what you've
27 uninstalled.]
30 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! ONE LIFE TO LIVE for
31 at ALL MY CHILDREN in ANOTHER
32 gmail.com WORLD all THE DAYS OF
33 OUR LIVES.