From: Philip Webb <purslow@×××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: default stage3 (was : [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo still on the right path?)
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 07:55:12
1 051121 Holly Bostick wrote:
2 > Daniel da Veiga schreef:
3 >> Gentoo is not easy, its not simple
4 >> and its not designed or the best distro to start in the Linux world.
5 > What's so hard about it, as opposed to any other Linux distro,
6 > once you get past the install issue?
7
8 In a word, 'maintenance'. No, that's not hard for you & me,
9 but your typical Linux novice is going to have to learn a lot
10 to keep his/her box as upto-date as s/he would using a binary distro.
11 For the latter, you just download the new Kubuntu/etc ISO every few months,
12 whereas with Gentoo either you choose which pkgs to update & when,
13 -- eg do I get KDE 3.4.3 while it's ~x86 or wait till it's 'stable'
14 or wait a bit longer till 3.5.0 is ~x86 or ... ? (that's my approach) --
15 or you blindly do 'emerge world' & hope for the best (I never 'emerge world').
16 Also, you have to configure & install new kernel versions
17 or can you trust it to Genkernel (which I have never used)?
18
19 I couldn't think of using anything but Gentoo on my workaday box,
20 but for my back-up machine it's likely to be Mandrake 2006 ,
21 as the CPU is too slow for painless Portage & I update it only once/year.
22
23 Newcomers to Linux should be advised to try something better than Linspire,
24 but should not be introduced to Gentoo until they're used to UNIX methods
25 & are prepared to invest a bit of their on-going time in sysadmin.
29 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb : purslow@××××××××××××××.ca
30 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Centre for Urban & Community Studies
31 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' University of Toronto
32 --
33 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list