From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT HD video camera & Gentoo
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 17:08:30
1 On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 3:20 PM, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Howdy,
3 >
4 > I'm going to get myself an HD video camera, that
5 > works well with open source software on Gentoo.
6 > Problem is (head scratching), I recall when I went
7 > through this some years ago I had lots of problems
8 > making a decision that worked with linux. I ended up with a
9 > Sony DCR-SR42. It works and the disk is mounted
10 > via the usb port. I can cd into the /dev/disk/<sony>
11 > mount point and used scp to remotely copy
12 > the mpg files and jpg photos to any system
13 > on the network. That to me is minimal functionality.
16 > Surely somebody has a HD video camera that works
17 > extra cool with Gentoo and gives a variety of video output
18 > formats, like h.264; or the video output can be
19 > easily converted to h.264 and other formats?
22 > Surely, there is an easy method (software app) to just
23 > burn a dvd from the contents of the video camera directly
24 > with (gentoo) linux; just like I can do, from the old
25 > sony(XP)  software that came with the camera?
28 > Any recommendations are most welcome. I mostly record
29 > fast moving sports, like basketball, football and
30 > water skiing, so the 'debouncing technologies'  or
31 > motion compensation if you like, are also of keen
32 > interest to me.
33
34 Hi James, sorry nobody replied to your message yet. I was on vacation
35 but I have an HD video camera and have used it in Gentoo to edit the
36 videos etc. :)
37
38 I have a Canon Vixia HG10 camera, which is a bit old by now and I
39 don't think it is made anymore (the newer models in the same line are
40 similar but better in basically every way). It does 720p and "1080i"
41 (I put the latter in quotes because the actual resolution is
42 anamorphic 16:9 in 1440x1080, not the 1920x1080 that one might expect
43 when the packaging proclaims its 1080 HD support...). It has a hard
44 drive and stores the movies in avchd format. It gets mounted as a
45 normal USB mass storage device, no monkey business is necessary in
46 getting to the files. In fact, this format is H.264 video and AC3
47 audio already, and from what I understand it is compatible with
48 blu-ray players. You can simply burn the files onto a disc (even a DVD
49 if the video is short enough) and play it in HD on your blu-ray
50 player, or play them on your PC with mplayer. I don't have a BR player
51 so I've never tried (you can also hook the camera directly to the HDMI
52 port of your TV).
53
54 I think that any camera that stores its files in avchd format would be
55 just as easy to use from that standpoint.
56
57 From an editing-in-linux standpoint, by far the best software I've
58 found is kdenlive, which is free and open-source and uses mlt as its
59 video processing backend. It supports the modern HD formats and is
60 very actively developed, and lets you do everything you'd expect from
61 a video editing software. It can export files in almost any format
62 imaginable, and has presets for most of them, including mobile devices
63 and sharing sites like youtube and vimeo in addition to the standard
64 files like avi, mkv, etc. It also has a transcoder if you simply want
65 to convert files as-is. There is a pretty active mailing list as well.
66
67 One thing to keep in mind is that dealing with HD video is hugely
68 processor and disk space intensive. If you don't have at least a Core
69 2, or equivalent, or newer, it might be prohibitively slow. Be
70 prepared to use up hundreds of gigs of disk space, too. Processing
71 time is likely to be several times longer than the length of the video
72 itself.
73
74 Good luck!