From: Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] data recovery advice needed
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2018 23:33:47
Some months ago, I borked a laptop HDD by trying to move a partition in
a way that left both the old and new partitions invalid.  (For my
sanity, I've forced the details out of my memory, but the old and new
locations overlapped, and I think the move might have been
interrupted.  My own fault, I know.)  In addition, the drive started
having read errors, so it was time to replace it anyway.

So, I removed that HDD for safekeeping (completely reinstalled the
laptop on a new drive) and now I'm trying to recover data from an
intact partition on the old drive, the problem being that the drive is
giving some read errors, so I want to minimize access, lest it die
completely.  I have the drive attached with a SATA to USB adaptor, and
mounted the partition.  I made the mistake of trying to copy one
directory (and everything below it) with "cp -r /path/to/mounted/folder
/path/to/new/location".  As far as I can tell, all the files got copied
(slowly) but all the new files have the timestamp of when they were
created.  I know I should have done a "cp -ar" to preserve timestamps.
Is there any way to fix this other than completely repeating the copy?
Will some version of rsync do what I want?

Thanks for any suggestions, other than to think more carefully before
typing.

Jack