From: Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] data recovery advice needed
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2018 23:33:47
1 Some months ago, I borked a laptop HDD by trying to move a partition in
2 a way that left both the old and new partitions invalid. (For my
3 sanity, I've forced the details out of my memory, but the old and new
4 locations overlapped, and I think the move might have been
5 interrupted. My own fault, I know.) In addition, the drive started
6 having read errors, so it was time to replace it anyway.
7
8 So, I removed that HDD for safekeeping (completely reinstalled the
9 laptop on a new drive) and now I'm trying to recover data from an
10 intact partition on the old drive, the problem being that the drive is
11 giving some read errors, so I want to minimize access, lest it die
12 completely. I have the drive attached with a SATA to USB adaptor, and
13 mounted the partition. I made the mistake of trying to copy one
14 directory (and everything below it) with "cp -r /path/to/mounted/folder
15 /path/to/new/location". As far as I can tell, all the files got copied
16 (slowly) but all the new files have the timestamp of when they were
17 created. I know I should have done a "cp -ar" to preserve timestamps.
18 Is there any way to fix this other than completely repeating the copy?
19 Will some version of rsync do what I want?
20
21 Thanks for any suggestions, other than to think more carefully before
22 typing.
25 Jack