From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Re: Re: Another hardware thread
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 00:06:09
1 On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 23:13:31 +0100, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
2
3 > Right now I have everything built with rather CPU-specific CFLAGS.
4 >
5 > Specific L1/L2-cache-sizes and stuff, set after doing something like
6 > "gcc -Q --help=target -march=native" .... (gentoo wiki).
7 >
8 > I wonder if this C2D-E6600-specific stuff would boot on the i7-2600k?
9 > Yeah, I could just try it.
10 >
11 > But maybe I should do something to prepare that migration?
12
13 I did a new installation as the old one had started life on an Athlon64
14 about 8 years ago and then migrated to the C2D. But it will probably work
15 as long as you kernel included support for both types of hardware.
16
17 If you're feeling adventurous, GCC 4.6, currently masked for testing, has
18 specific -march options for the i7 and Sandybridge i7, according to the
19 Gentoo Wiki CFLAGS page.
20
21 Using 4.5.3 and -march=native, I had a couple of showstopping build
22 failures, that were fixed by switching to -march=core2 -mtune=generic.
26 Neil Bothwick
27
28 Newspaper Ad: Dog for sale: eats anything and is fond of children.